Formerly called Point of Rocks, this area was homesteaded in 1881 by Tom and James Wing. They planted the vineyards that still flourish today. By the early 1900's the Dells became a resort with a hotel and pavilion but burned down several years later. Some years after, the original owners' grandson, Morris Payne and his brothers returned to build again. A dance pavilion, bath house, and swimming lake were opened and a two story resort hotel was built for the increasing number of visitors. During the 1920's through the 1950's, more than 20,000 people visited the Dells annually.
In 1970 the resort and swimming lake closed with the retirement of Morris Payne but in the late 70's and early 80's the area was opened again for a few years and then closed for the last time.
The top picture is how it looks today, possibly a private residence.
To see some great pictures and read more history about the area check out the link below.