Friday, November 25, 2011

Fort Whipple Then And Now


Except for the trees, Officers Row at Fort Whipple looks much as it did when the postcard picture, at the top, was taken in the early 1900's. These beautiful homes were build to house the highest ranking officers and their families. One of the houses is now a museum with the history and artifacts on display, telling of the early days of the fort. The museum is well worth a visit. Tomorrow I will show the inside of the house that is now the museum.

8 comments:

Kate said...

I love these "then and now" photos. Seems that this fort has taken much better care of the residences than our own Fort Snelling.

Sharon said...

I've never been here. I'll look forward to going inside.
Kate mentioned Fort Snelling, I used to pass through Fort Snelling on the light rail from the airport to downtown Minneapolis when I used to have to travel there for work.

Thérèse said...

A great parallel! Artifacts are so useful to understand this part of the past.

azlaydey said...

Great shot!!!

Catalyst said...

It's funny how I've tended to ignore so many good places so close to home. I shall have to try Fort Whipple's museum.

Teresa said...

Before and afters are fun! thanks for sharing.

Randy said...

These are great. All these years and they're still lovely.

Magpie said...

Can you see someone making a museum out of any of the houses they're throwing up these days? What beautiful buildings.